Pages


Thursday, December 8, 2011

Chalkboard Cabinets

So I saw this picture of a kitchen cabinet with chalkboard paint on the inside, and OF COURSE, I had to try it out for myself. Luckily I had the chalkboard paint already. So it was basically a nobrainer! I asked Josh what he thought about me putting chalkboard paint on the inside of our cabinets, and being the lovely man he is, said "I figured you'd eventually do something like that!" He knows me so well!


You'll Need.


  1. Chalkboard Paint (You can get this at Walmart or any craft store)
  2. A paint brush of some sort
  3. Painters Tape (I'm so impatient and couldn't wait to go to the store to buy painters tape, so I used duck tape. Which worked out really well in the end.)
  4. Sandpaper (optional)
So if the cabinet you plan on adding the paint to has a finish on it, you may want to sand it a tiny bit so the paint will stick. I was too afraid of ruining the cabinets, if the paint didn't come out right, so I DIDN'T sand it. It's all up to you.


Next take your painters tape, or whatever tape you've got, and tape off the section you want to paint. I started small so if it was awful I didn't have to big of a mess to clean up.


Now just start putting the paint on. My cabinets are white and glossy, so I probably had to put 5 coats of paint on to get it the way I really liked it. The instructions on the paint say to wait 1 hour in between layers, I just wanted until it was dry. 15 minutes or so!


It's so simple! When the paint is dry and you think you have enough layers of paint on, go ahead and take your tape off, be gentle!
That's IT. It's such an easy project and it turns out great!

                                                        The finished product!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment